Erected in 1918, it bore the name of “Hankou New Market”, which was later changed into “China National Club” in 1926 and “Xuehua Amusement Center” in 1927. Later, it also adopted names as “Hankou Civic Amusement Center”, “Xingji New Market” and “Mingji New Market”. It was called “Civic Entertainment Center” in 1949, “People’s Culture Center” in 1966, restored its name as “Civic Entertainment Center” in 1979, and renamed as “New Civic Entertainment Center” in 1993. It was re-opened in 2014 after 10 months of renovation by CapitaMalls Asia.